This is one of my first go-to recipes when I started really wanting to cook from scratch in college. I actually usually make these as muffins, but for some reason I felt like a thick slice of banana bread the day I baked these. This recipe is great to make with kids and I have fond memories of smashing up bananas with one of my friends daughters when I would make these in college.
The streusel topping is not a necessity for this bread, but it’s a fun addition if you’re in the mood to make it.
Cinnamon Banana Bread
Makes 1 nine inch loaf pan, or about 18 muffins
2 cups all purpose flour
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup softened butter
3/4 cup sugar
1 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 3)
6 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
- Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees and grease your loaf pan, or line your muffin tins.
- In a medium bowl whisk together your flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.
- In a separate bowl cream your butter and sugar together with a hand mixer.
- Mix your eggs one at a time to your creamed butter and sugar until well incorporated, then mix in the vanilla and milk.
- With a spoon or spatula stir in your bananas, leaving a few small chunks of banana. It doesn’t need to be smooth.
- Now fold in the dry ingredients in just until everything looks incorporated. You don’t want to over mix.
- Pour your batter into your pan or tins and add the streusel topping now if you wish.
- For the loaf bake 35 minutes, the muffins only about 25 minutes. For best results rotate your pan halfway through baking.
- Let cool and enjoy!
With a two knifes, or a pastry cutter, cut 1 stick of butter, 1/2 cup flour, 1/4 cup brown sugar, and a 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon together in a bowl until your have pea-sized pieces of butter. If your butter is soft enough I have also been know to just use a fork, whatever is easier for you. Sprinkle this mixture over each muffin, or over the entire loaf. The extra cinnamon crumble on top is delicious!